New Year’s resolutions! Many people dread the New Year for this uneasy feeling of making resolutions that may not stick.
The problem with resolutions is the follow through.
Often people create negative stories in their minds causing them to stop following through on trying to lose weight, recharging their careers or doing something meaningful in their quest to get things done.
Finding a way to overcome our mind’s negative overthinking is a powerful way to get unstuck. And it requires not some bold, unique strategy but a simple one.
To get unstuck and follow through on our goals, we need to create new patterns in order to replace the old patterns of overthinking, replacing it with something more useful.
And so for 2015, I have developed a few tips that I have used daily to help interrupt the negative pattern of overthinking that keeps us from achieving our resolutions and goals.
I truly believe that each of us are meant to be making a positive contribution to the place we work, the people who we love and the passion we pursue:
Here are 24 tips to get unstuck and move forward in 2015:
- Accept the things that are outside of your area of immediate influence as they are – not as you wish they were or ought to be.
- Start the morning off on the right foot by saying your goals out aloud and reconnecting with the vision for the goal you created.
- Take action right now.
- Don’t put off until tomorrow what can be done today.
- Turn off the news.
- Stay away from gossip.
- Stay away from negative people.
- Actively stay away from social media for a day.
- Take a course, or a class that teaches you something new.
- Write your own personal mission statement based on your unique value set.
- When faced with obstacles or dilemmas, connect with your mission statement and ask yourself whether you are living in accordance to what you set out.
- Believe that the possibility of success lies at the intersection of inspiration and persistence.
- Feed your body natural foods.
- Meditate or connect with your higher self each day.
- Smile at the smallest things.
- Talk to someone who has been through a rough time and ask them what they learned from the process.
- When they respond – listen mindfully.
- Celebrate the small milestones because it fuels your momentum towards your bigger goals.
- Stop believing that others are more fortunate than you – you don’t know the chaos that people have been through.
- Participate, contribute and share in your community.
- Travel to an unknown place and force yourself to take public transportation when you get there.
- Take every rejection or problem as an offering from life for you to grow.
- Spend more time doing than talking about doing.
- Put as much trust and faith in yourself as you have in someone you respect.
Learning to get unstuck in life doesn’t have to be really complicated.
It can be as simple as making a call, writing something down, going somewhere and meeting people who have a fresh perspective.
The key is to stop overthinking the future or the direction in your life and to start doing something. Anything that brings out your abilities, purpose and passion.
No one has the perfect path, the perfect job, the perfect career or perfect life because perfection is an illusion.
Once we learn to accept the ups and downs and simply move forward, we will get unstuck in life and start living happily.
I wish you success, prosperity, happiness and lots of fun in 2015.